Annually, over 20,000 people end up in the emergency room due to carbon monoxide poisoning. The odorless, colorless gas is referred to as the silent killer because it’s practically undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, as confirmed by the CDC, is put off by stoves, gas ranges, boilers, furnaces, and fireplaces so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning climbs during the heating months when people are trying to heat their homes. To help keep your family safe, Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning is here with a couple tips to safety heat your home.
- Put in a CO detector on all floors of your home and swap out the batteries annually.
- Keep all likely sources of combustion, such as paper, clothing, bedding, or rugs, a minimum of three feet away from space heaters, stoves, furnaces or fireplaces.
- Before starting a fire in the fireplace, always check to verify the chimney damper is open and unclogged.
- Don’t leave portable heaters or fireplaces neglected. Turn off space heaters and confirm all embers in the fireplace are fully extinguished before leaving the area.
- Space heaters should always be positioned on the floor, and on a hard, incombustible surface, like porcelain tile. Keep kids and animals away from space heaters.
- When buying a new space heater, purchase a model that turns off automatically if the heater falls over.
- Do not use a stove to warm your home.
- Have wood and coal stoves, fireplaces, chimneys and gas or oil furnaces professionally checked and cleaned yearly.
The best thing you can do for your heating equipment is to make sure it’s not only all set to keep you warm all winter but also safe, is to set-up your furnace tune-up. During your heating tune-up, Service Experts will check to make sure your heating system is operating safely with a full multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 239-908-6991 today and learn how you can save on a heating tune-up through November 25th.