Annually, over 20,000 people end up in the ER due to carbon monoxide poisoning. This colorless, odorless gas is referred to as the silent killer because it’s practically undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, as confirmed by the CDC, is put off by stoves, gas ranges, boilers, furnaces, and fireplaces so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning climbs during the heating months when people are trying to heat their homes. To help keep you safe, Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning is here with a couple tips to safety warm your home.
- Put in a CO detector on all floors of your home and swap out the batteries every year.
- Keep all likely sources of combustion, such as paper, clothing, bedding, or rugs, at least three feet away from space heaters, stoves, furnaces or fireplaces.
- Before lighting a fire in the fireplace, be sure to check to verify the chimney damper is open and unclogged.
- Never leave portable heaters or fireplaces neglected. Shut off space heaters and be sure all embers in the fireplace are fully extinguished before leaving the area.
- Space heaters should always be positioned on the floor, and on a hard, incombustible surface, like porcelain tile. Keep kids and pets away from space heaters.
- When purchasing a new space heater, buy a model that turns off automatically if the heater falls over.
- Do not use a stove to heat your home.
- Have wood and coal stoves, fireplaces, chimneys and gas or oil furnaces professionally checked and cleaned every year.
The ideal thing you can do for your heating equipment is to be sure it’s not only all set to keep your family warm all winter but also safe, is to set-up your furnace tune-up. During your furnace tune-up, Service Experts will check to make sure your heating system is operating safely with a complete multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 239-908-6991 today and learn how you can save on a heating tune-up through November 25th.