Hearing weird noises when your air conditioner is working? There's probably something wrong with your unit. If you ignore it, it could lead to significant—and expensive—troubles later. We're going to help you understand what’s occurring with your air conditioner and what you can do to correct it.
8 Common Air Conditioning Noises
- Gurgling - Gurgling normally indicates a problem with your refrigerant line. If you can't pinpoint where the noise is emanating from, that's alright. An expert can help find out where this noise is occurring. You can read more information on our gurgling noises guide.
- Crackling - Crackling could result from debris in the unit or aging ductwork. Debris in the outdoor unit will create a noise outside your house. Mature ductwork can cause noise inside your house. Check out our crackling noise guide for more information.
- Hissing - Hissing can be caused by a faulty refrigerant line, an internal valve leak or the compressor. Look through our hissing noise guide for more info.
- Buzzing - Buzzing is probably an electrical issue. Check out our buzzing noise guide for further information.
- Clicking - Clicking can indicate you have a loose part or that the fan is misaligned. You can check out more information in our clicking noise guide.
- Pulsating - Pulsating can be caused by a loose part. Go through our pulsating noise guide for more information.
- Loud Noise - A noticeable noise from your outside unit can indicate an issue with your compressor, damper, fan or air handler. Look at our loud noise guide for more information.
- Humming - Humming can arise from fan motor issues or a damaged relay switch. Head to our humming noise guide for more information.
You can find additional information about prevalent air conditioning problems on energy.gov
Should I keep running my AC when it’s making a noise?
There are limited cases where you can continue to run your AC, but you do so at your own risk. It's difficult to answer this question without examining your system.
Most of the time, we recommend shutting down the unit off and calling a professional.
When should I do something about the noise?
We recommend calling a professional as soon as you think there's a problem with your system. While AC repairs can be stressful and an unexpected expense, it's better to get problems taken care of right away. Contacting a professional could help lower future expenses and keep your system running longer.
Not sure if your air conditioner is making any of these noises? Please fill out the form below for a free, in-home consultation.