How Do You Test for Carbon Monoxide?

There are a lot of fumes that could be in your Naples home. Natural gas and vapors that originate from household fixtures, carpeting and paints. Not a one of them are as threatening as carbon monoxide.

Call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning at 239-908-6991 today to begin defending your home against this dangerous gas.

Why is Carbon Monoxide so Dangerous?

Carbon monoxide could be an emergency, so it’s not a matter to mess around with.

1. You Can’t See It

Carbon monoxide is so unsafe because you cannot see it, sense it with your nose or detect it with your taste buds. It doesn’t cause irritation in little doses and can’t be filtered.

2. It Can Be Fatal After Only Minutes

Carbon monoxide is a side effect of spent fuel. It can creep into your house during the winter if the heat exchanger on your gas furnace fails. While it depends on how big the leak is and the ventilation in a residence, the gas could become lethal in only a few minutes.

Once breathed in, the gas has a half-life of around five hours. If you are taking in pure air, it will take five hours to take it out of your system. It will take an extra five hours to decrease that level by half.

3. Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Can Act Like Other Illnesses

It could also cause illnesses that can be confused with the flu, viral infections and chronic fatigue syndrome, among other conditions.

How to Guard Your Home from Carbon Monoxide

There’s no point to gamble with carbon monoxide poisoning.

Here are several things you can do to keep your residence safe:

  1. Your home with at least one fuel-burning furnace, attached garage or fireplace should have a carbon monoxide alarm. You need to have a sensor on each level of your home, on top of the basement and garage. You also should install one inside or outside of each bedroom. Aren’t using a carbon monoxide alarm in your residence?
    Call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning at 239-908-6991 to buy one. Ask our Experts about our affordable Wi-Fi carbon monoxide alarms.
  2. If you currently own a carbon monoxide detector, frequently look at or replace the batteries. You should test batteries every three months, and get a new detector every three to five years.
  3. If your carbon monoxide alarm sounds, leave your home without delay and phone 911.

Keep Your Family Safe with Support from Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning

Carbon monoxide doesn’t have to be frightening, and with the proper steps your loved ones can be protected from the toxic gas. Take the precautions and call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning at 239-908-6991 to learn more.